This year, Mother’s Day falls on May 11. Though you shouldn’t need an excuse to spoil mom, here are some ideas we’ve come up with to show your appreciation on a budget!
Bake Her Something
Here is a wonderful recipe for saltine cracker toffee that happens to be a staff favorite at GotoBus:
– 40 unsalted saltines
– 1 cup salted butter
– 1 cup packed brown sugar
– 2 cups milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips
– 3/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Line saltine crackers in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
2. In a small pot combine sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 6 minutes. It will get all bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let sit a couple of minutes to melt.
4. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts if desired. Cool completely and break into pieces. It may help to melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute before spreading.
Note: You should either use salted butter or salted saltines but not both.
Make a Coupon Book
Here’s where you can get really creative. Make her a book filled with coupons of your choosing. Some that we suggest are helping out with specific chores around the house, cooking her favorite meal, letting her pick a movie for family movie night, or even a coupon of her choice! For a family movie night, we also suggest making a “basket” filled with Mom’s favorites: her favorite candy, a bottle of wine, and some chocolates or other snacks. You get the idea!
Set Up a Digital Picture Frame
Instead of the “traditional” picture frame, digital picture frames allow you to put together a digital collection of your favorite pictures! One of the best features of this amazing gift is that you can change the pictures as many times as you want.
Take Her on a Special Family Outing
What mother doesn’t want to spend time with her family? Pick an activity that she loves, and make it “her” day. Does she love the ocean? Head to your city’s local aquarium. Maybe she wants to check out an art exhibit, or head to another type of museum. We recommend checking out your local newspaper’s event section- they will have the latest on what is going on in your city.
Make a Scrapbook
If you’re feeling especially crafty, you can even make mom a scrapbook! You can go to a craft supply store to help you out, but many items can be gathered very easily. Have some pictures from a fun family night out at a restaurant? Arrange the pictures and even use pieces of the restaurant’s take-out menu to add flair to the page. If this is an activity you would rather do with your mother, why don’t you gather all the materials, and you can make it together? She will love the quality time!
Looking for more suggestions to help make this Mother’s Day the best? Check out Pinterest! If you need help getting from one location to another, don’t forget to check out GotoBus.com to book your bus tickets. Surprise her with a trip home!
Happy Mother’s Day to all!